On 21 October 1983, the General Conference of Weights And Measures adopted the value of 299,792.458 km/s for the speed of light. At the occasion of the anniversary, hundreds of activities are voluntarily organized over more than 30 countries in the world and encompass all kinds of demonstrations and discussions on the impact of photonics on our day-to-day life. Any company, research organization, university, school, student chapter is encouraged to organize an activity, please contact us to have your event listed! Due to the global health situation, this year we encourage you to organize online activities and share it with us!
View here the pictures of previous editions (sorted per country name).
- This year we encourage you to organize online activities
- Companies organize school visits and welcome students to their company
- Companies organize an open-day and invite other companies in the neighborhood to make an introduction to their company
- Companies organize an internal meeting with their sales/business development staff to discuss how their company is positioned in the various photonic markets
- Companies organize family days and invite children to discover the working environment of mummy and daddy
- Research organization and universities organize school visits
- Student chapters reach out to schools to explain what is photonics
- Hedonists use the excuse to just have fun and organize a staff drink reception